Saturday, August 15, 2009

Worst Mom Ever Award

And the winner is... ME!!! Do any of you ever feel like this? This week for me has been one thing after another. First, on the upside Carson started walking awhile ago. He just stood up and decided to do it all by himself. There was no one to coax him he was purely independent.
It has been harder now to keep track of him. First, I left him for two minutes (if it was even that long)to run to another room. He quickly found his way to the bathroom and grabbed the most dangerous thing he could find...a razor. When I finally caught him he was chewing on the rubber at the bottom. I grabbed it from him and immediately checked to make sure he wasn't bleeding. Luckily there was no blood, crisis averted.
Secondly, I was out at my Mom's house where she was mowing the lawn. It was a walking lawnmower and she shut it off to empty the bag. Carson and I were outside with Cooper, Ashley and Ryker. I watched Carson walk over to the lawnmower and thought he wasn't in danger (the machine was shut off what could happen?). I watched him to see what he was doing and he started crying. Running over I felt the machine and it was burning hot. How could I have overlooked that!?! Immediately, thinking it was his hands my Mom and I ran cold water over them. Only to discover an hour later that half of his shin was burned in second and third degree burns. Needless to say my baby is going to have a scar for the rest of his life because of me. He didn't even cry. I may be the worst Mom ever but I was given the best baby.

After this incident I thought that would be it for a while until Carson got the flu. He threw up and I heard him so I went into his room (or closet). He was covered with nastiness and freezing. I woke up Eddie and we proceeded to give him a bath. Trying not to vomit I cleaned up his bed and made another one.
We got him all dressed and the second round of vomiting ensued. He threw up all over me this time and I just cried watching his little body convulse with each urge to throw up. Again, into the bathtub to clean up(Keep in mind he also has a raw leg at this point from a burn that he received the day before. Can you imagine how good water felt on raw skin).
We finally go him out of the tub and ready for bed. I handed him to Eddie and the third round of throw up began. By this time his little system was about dry so we put a bib on him and I took him into another room (Eddie had to work the next day so we tried not to wake him). I made a little bed for him. Next to it I placed a bowl and a towel. About every half hour I would wake up to hear him dry heaving. He wouldn't even cry. He just went about his business and then fell back asleep. I hated trying to hold him over the bowl, but what else could I do?
Finally, around four in the morning I decided he was done throwing up and I put him back in his bed. Only to wake up to him crying an hour later and covered in bodily fluid which originated from the other end. I have never seen anything like what was all over him. He was freezing and completely covered. Again, into the bathtub with the raw leg.
By this time we were all spent. I just remember thinking please let me go through this and not him. It is so much easier to be sick than to see your child in pain. Finally, he got to sleep and we were able to get a few hours before I took him to the doctor. The doctors orders were to catch some of his fluid from the bottom end so we can test it. I post this so that if anyone ever has to do this you will know how.
My Mother and I struggled for two days trying (it was really runny and hard to get without leaking all over. I am sorry, I know TMI). Finally, Eddie suggested a Ziploc bag and it worked!! We cut little legs holes out of it and waited for the blessed stuff to flow.
I post this as a stress reliever. It helps me to laugh a little instead of cry. If every week of Motherhood was like the last one, I would be having one child. Luckily, I have wonderful relatives surrounding me that give me words of comfort and a beautiful family that I love so much.

11 comments:

Kim said...

You aren't a bad mom by far! No matter how protective we are of our kids it's never a guarantee. Things still happen and most of the time we can't do anything to keep it from happening again. They are fast and curious little people and it's just part of life! Hang in there and don't let it get you too down!

Erin Davis said...

Poor guy! It won't be the first time you get thrown up on, believe me! :) I hope he's feeling better, and you are a great mom!

Amy Jane said...

What a hard week! Hang in there you are a great mommy!!

Joni said...

I think you meant BEST Mom award, sorry about the hard week. I hope the next one is better.

Ashley said...

You are not a bad mom. I just sat there while he walked to the lawn mower too. Didn't even think about it. This week will past and then you will laugh about everything you had to go through. Give Carson hugs and kisses for me! Hope he feels better soon.

amy said...

Isn't amazing what they can get into in so little time. Hope the rest of you guys don't get sick. I remember the the first time Jace got sick I about cried watching him throw up. It is way easier to be sick than have them be sick. Hope this coming week will be great for you.

Heide Gentry-Kemp said...

Oh Michelle that sounds awful.. I hope that your little guy is doing better, You are a great mom!!! I hope that you recover soon with everything. Hope that all is well!! Heide

Tim and Stacey Cardon said...

You are way too hard on yourself! We all do the best we can, and that's all we can do! When I was sick my mom would always tell me she wished she could be sick instead of me, and I never forgot that! That is pure unconditional love you have for Carson! Hang in there, Carson is very blessed to have you two as parents!

Rebecca Leigh Hall said...

I'm so sorry Michelle. What a horrible week. Like Ash said it will pass. Love ya!

Chelsea said...

That is so sad. Poor baby and poor mommy. So sorry you had to endure that. I hope he's doing better.

Prosper 1st Primary said...

I think you should get the BEST MOMMY AWARD! We all have days like that you are not alone. Poor little cars, I hope he is better now! I also think you deserve the BEST WIFE AWARD, if that were me I would had made sure James was awake. You are such a good wife to let Eddie sleep. We miss you guys! What are you doing for labor day? James has some time off we should party!