Friday, September 19, 2008

Nauvoo

A few weeks ago we decided to drive to Nauvoo for Labor day with our good friends the Hillstroms'. We were nervous about taking our little guys for the nine hour drive (the Hillstroms' have a baby that is about three weeks older than Carson), but they were champs on the way there. We drove about seven and a half hours on the way there and stopped at the dirtiest hotel I have ever seen. There was not a square inch of the room that did not disgust me. There was hair in the bathtub and spots under and on the toilet seat. The lampshades were ripped and the comforter had stains on it as well. I did not take my shoes off the whole time. We were so tired though we decided to spend the night before seeing the room.
The next day we headed out to Nauvoo. It turned out to be a really neat experience I was amazed to see the beautiful city that the saints built and then had to leave just a few short months later. I am sure that it took a lot of faith to do something like that. We saw the prophets Joseph Smith's grave along with the Smith family graves. We also made it to the temple and to Carthage Jail. I think Carthage was my favorite thing out of the whole trip. I cannot believe that original door where the bullet that hit Hyrum came through was still there. We also went to a play put on by the couple missionaries.
The way home was a little less blissful than the way to Nauvoo. I think the babies were sick of traveling. We still had a great time though and are so grateful that Kristina, James and Treyden were able to come as well.









2 comments:

Em said...

How fun! Carson is so flippin' adorable.

Sasha Mari said...

okay i am so in love with Carson already... i have to meet him soon and I miss my friend- Michelle my Belle