Monday, July 11, 2011

Sophie Anne

On May 21st we welcomed our beautiful baby girl into the world. She is so much fun and I am happy that she is such a great baby. I feel like I have not had a second to update, but now that she is a little older hopefully it will not take me so long to post. Here are some pictures I had taken of her when she was a week and a half.





As to the birth story. Her labor was so much different that Carson's I had a hard time knowing if I was in labor or just in pain. I went to see Dr. Fowers on a Friday and told him I was ready to have a baby I had been dilated to a four for a whole week. He looked up the schedule and said they could probably start me the next day.
I was excited, but nervous. I knew I wanted to have the baby but dreaded the recovery afterward. I went home and Eddie and I decided we should probably pick a name. We were deciding between Olivia and Sophie and finally picked Sophie.
That night I didn't sleep at all. I was feeling pain in my legs, back and in my abdomen. The pain was not consistent and didn't feel like contractions. Finally, it was time to call the hospital and see if they could take me. I called at six and they said to come in at 7:30 A.M..
Packed and ready we waited until 7:30 and then headed in. We arrived and were taken into a labor and delivery room shortly after. I felt like I was having contractions and sure enough I was. They decided to start me on pitocin to speed up the process.
My body reacted strongly to the pitocin and it seemed like I would have one continuous contraction. They lessened my dose and decided to check me. I was already at a 6-7!! It was probably about 9:30 A.M. then and the nurse told me the anesthesiologist was at home. She also said if I had to use the restroom that I should not push.
I was getting a little nervous because I had to wait for my epidural, but the doctor arrived and everything was fine. My first epidural was definitely a lot easier than my second. I feel like I only felt the needle going in with the first. With the second I felt a lot more. I had a hard time not flinching when I felt the zing part of it.
Once the pain meds numbed my lower half it was definitely worth the discomfort. I kept pushing my button as often as I could to release more medicine. It took a while but, finally I was good and numb. I could still feel and move my legs which was different from last time.
Finally, around 11ish I was informed that it was time to push. Last time I pushed for a long time and they ended up having to use the vacuum. This time I only had to push for about fifteen minutes. I still could not feel anything which I was not complaining about!
I felt a lot of emotion once she was born and couldn't help but cry. It is amazing and terrifying to think of being a Mom to two children, but I am excited to try. We are so blessed to have little Sophie in our lives and though it is challenging it is absolutely worth it!

6 comments:

The Palmers said...

I didn't even know you were prego, Congrats, I am so happy for you, She is so beautiful. Hope everything is going well, miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know that you only pushed for 15 minutes on the second baby, because I had to push for 2 hours with Madi! Congratulations on Sophie, she is adorable!

Unknown said...

Sophie is AB-SOL-UTE-LY gorgeous! I am in LOVE with those newborn pics! Did you make each one of her lil flower hair accessories? So cute! Congrats! I didn't know you were expecting either, so pleasant surprise!

theSwensenFamily said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful! I had no idea you were pregnant so this is such a happy surprise! I am so excited for you and so happy you got a little girl! I LOVE all of her hair bows! Did you make them? The pictures are priceless. Hope you are doing well and surviving life with two kids! You guys sure do make cute babies! Enjoy that bundle!

{Layla} said...

congrats! Darling pictures!!! Sophie is precious!

Delia said...

What adorable pictures! Do you mind if I ask who took them?

Sounds like you had a fast labor. That is crazy how your labor pains came on differently this time. Every pregnancy really is so different.