Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Single Tear

As many of you know a year ago today my Father underwent a quadruple bypass surgery on his heart. Through a series of tests here in Logan and in Ogden we found out that small arteries and a love of butter and bacon (yes it runs in the family)don't mix.
I cannot help but feel how lucky I am to still have my Father here. I watch him with my children and feel blessed for the precious moments we have. The reason I wanted to post about this anniversary is due to something my Mother told me last night.
Last year my sister and brother couldn't be there the night before the surgery. So it was just my Mom and I. Right before we said goodbye to my Dad for the night we shared a moment I will never forget. Standing in the ICU next to his bed, trying not to cry in front of my him I watched as a single tear ran down his cheek.
At that moment I thought the tear was due to the fact that he was to undergo a major surgery in the morning. He would have a lot of recovery and his life would be changed forever. It would certainly make sense to shed a few tears when going through such a traumatic event, however that is not my Dad.
Last night my Mother mentioned to him how she still remembers the single tear running down his cheek before the surgery. To which he replied,"I was laying there thinking about how much I was hurting my Wife and Daughter."
Even in one of his most vulnerable moments of life my Dad's thoughts were on us. He is one of the most unselfish people I know. We are blessed that he was wise enough to get his heart checked out when he did. He is now healthier than he has been in a long time and I am proud of how well he has listened to the doctors. I have an amazing Father and I am so happy that he is in my life. Happy one year anniversary Dad! Here's to the next 50.

0 comments: