Saturday, November 26, 2011

Our Little Princess

I am about to tell my labor and delivery story with Sophie so beware! Sophie, like Carson was almost full term. I had a doctors appointment the day before she was born and he didn't see a lot of progress from the week before, but I was already dilated to a four and almost totally effaced. Dr. Fowers then asked me if I wanted to have a baby and I almost screamed yes.
He then told me I could be induced on Saturday the 21st. I was excited and a little apprehensive realizing that the baby in my belly would soon need a lot more of my attention.
Dr. Fowers handed me a card that said I needed to call the hospital the next morning to see if they had room for me. The card instructed me to call at 6:00 A. M. I didn't sleep at all the night before the induction. I was in a lot of pain, but didn't think the pain was due to contractions.
Finally, it was time to call the hospital.
Eddie and I packed everything we thought we would need and headed to the hospital. I was admitted and in my bed by 8:00. They checked me and I was already at a 5-6. Meaning I must have been in labor the whole previous night. They hooked me up the the monitors and sure enough I was already in labor with mild contractions every few minutes. It was then the nurse put me on pitocen to help me speed things along. Can I just say OUCH! My body responded really strongly to the hormone and I had one continuous contraction.
Luckily, the nurse came in and decreased the amount of hormone I was getting and my contractions spread apart. She also called for the anesthesiologist who was at home (due to the fact that labor and delivery was really slow). He lived in North Logan so I prayed he would hurry and the epidural wouldn't come to late.
I waited for about 45 minutes and then he was there. By that time my contractions were getting intense. I was dilated to a 6-7 when the doctor arrived and put the epidural in.
My experience with the epidural was totally different this time than last time. I was sitting up the first time and barely felt anything but the initial pinch when the needle was inserted. This time I felt the pinch then the zing up and down my back. There was also a pop that was weird as well. I didn't love getting it in, but it felt like heaven once it was in.
They then broke my water and beautiful Sophie Anne was on her way. It took about anther hour before I was fully dilated and ready to push. Dr. Fowers came back and it was time to push.
The epidural was working so wonderfully I didn't feel the contractions so I had to be told when to push. Luckily, the pushing process took much less time and energy with Sophie than with Carson. Three or four good pushes and she was out.
They took her away to clean her off and I cried as I watched Eddie take pictures of her on the scale. My beautiful daughter was finally here! She cried her little baby cry and they placed her in my arms to take us to another hospital room.
She was and is such a wonderful baby I am so happy to be her Mom!