Thursday, January 22, 2009

Though I am a little late I wanted to post on the swearing in of President Barak Obama. I am not an Obama supporter, but I can still appreciate the significance of the first African American President. I was watching two babies so I could only catch bits and pieces but it seemed like Obama made a great speech. I felt bad for President Bush though. Barak attacked his Presidency while he was sitting in the audience. I don't know if that was totally necessary. I am sure President Bush already knows that he has the lowest approval rating of any president leaving office.

I know Obama is a great orator but time will tell if he is able to make good on the promises he made his supporters. My analytical side says that the President of the United States really does not have that much power by himself. I guess we will have to watch and see what takes place over the honeymoon stage. Here are some pictures and quotes from that day.

"For us, they fought and died, in places like Concord and Gettysburg; Normandy and Khe Sanh. Time and again these men and women struggled and sacrificed and worked till their hands were raw so that we might live a better life. They saw America as bigger than the sum of our individual ambitions; greater than all the differences of birth or wealth or faction."

"To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect. To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West — know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy. To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."

"America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."






2 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I completely agree with everything you said. Bush may not have been the best president this country has ever had, but he faced some really difficult issues over the past 8 years and I think he did the best he could. He deserves credit for that.

Em said...

I loved hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Tuesday was a hard day for me- I was appalled by the way citizens & the media treated Pres. Bush (total disrespect). I might not have agreed with all the decisions he made but I always felt like he was looking out for our best interests and doing what he felt was right. He kept us safe and for that I'm thankful.

I've been impressed by so many conservatives who are willing to give Obama a chance, unlike many liberals in the Bush era. When Obama makes a good call I'll be the first to give him credit but I sure am watching closely. There are a lot of things I'm anxious about- FOCA, DOMA, Gitmo, Irag, Israel, the economy, energy...and truthfully, I'm terrified for our country, especially because I see our constitution being torn apart.

I think Obama is a good orator but I actually wasn't impressed with his speech Tuesday. And the benediction by Lowery? Holy crap, disgusting.

That's my 2 cents.